We always want to be as fuel-efficient as we can: it saves the environment and it also saves us some money! Here are some smart ways to conserve fuel.
- Accelerate gradually – “Jackrabbit” starts, or hammering down on the gas, burn your fuel quicker. Gradually accelerate to save your fuel.
- Anticipate your stops – When you’re approaching a red light, let your foot off the glass gradually and as early as possible instead of hard stopping.
- Drive during the cooler parts of the day – During the summer, try driving during the cooler parts of the day. Cooler, dense air can boost power and mileage.
- Avoid long warm-ups in the winter – These can waste your fuel. Your best bet is driving while your car warms up.
- At high speeds, use air conditioning instead of open windows – Driving with your windows down causes more drag on the engine when traveling at about 50 mph or above.
- Maintain recommended tire pressure – Low tire pressure can not only damage your tires but also reduces your fuel economy.
- Keep your air filter clean – Clogged air filters increase exhaust emissions and burn more fuel.
As that old, violent saying goes—there’s more than one way to skin a cat. However, when you apply that saying to the world of green automobile technology, it’s a much sunnier sentiment, if you think about it. As Hyundai has demonstrated with the new Hyundai Sonata Eco, you don’t have to fill your vehicle with all kinds of electric or hydrogen-powered parts to get awesome fuel ratings and help save the environment.
While the normal Hyundai Sonata comes with a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine, the Eco model comes with a smaller 1.6-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine. The Eco pairs that engine with a special seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission to give drivers great torque and control over their driving experience. Thanks to this powertrain and stop/start technology, the Eco model gets 38 mpg on the highway and 28 mpg in the city.
The Eco model makes the Hyundai Sonata even more exciting and competitive in the mid-size market today. The Sonata, in whatever model or trim you opt for, also sports an awesome exterior style and a comfortable and roomy interior. Come see us here at SouthTowne Hyundai to learn more about the Sonata and the rest of the lineup today.